Every church has values. They are the (often unwritten) assumptions that determine its direction. Values are not a doctrinal statement. Rather they provide the foundation for formulating goals and setting the direction of the church’s ministry. The following are some of the core values and distinctives of New Hope Chapel.
- The Richness of God’s Word: We believe that the Bible is more than literature. It’s more than history, but is historically accurate. It’s more than an ethical code, but does tell us right from wrong. It is living and active. It does more than tell us about God; it reveals His heart and His love for His creation. It is far beyond our full understanding. Nonetheless, by study and by the Holy Spirit we can understand its truth.
- Contemporary Worship: This is a “style” of worship. It emphasizes the Lord’s presence with us during the service and the personal involvement of each congregant in adoring and praising Him. Luther said that we love music “not for its novelty, but for its familiarity.” As a practical matter, contemporary music is the most familiar style of music for many people. Therefore we choose to use drums, guitars, and synthesizers over “traditional” instruments. We also try to de-emphasize formality of dress and of overall service format although we do recognize that congregational worship must have order to maintain a unified expression of worship.
- Balanced Worship: The preaching of God’s Word, prayer, the Lord’s supper, music, financial giving, and all of the other various components of worship are meant to provide avenues for adoring and experiencing the Lord in all of His fullness. Worship should engage the mind and enliven the spirit. It should be structured, but always open to redirection by the Spirit of God.
- Jewish Roots: An important part of the Christian faith is appreciating its Jewish roots. By this we gain a fuller understanding of God’s Word, a deeper insight into the meaning and implications of the coming of the Messiah, and an enriched worship experience. We may at times incorporate traditional Jewish music or other elements of Jewish liturgy in our worship service. We also conduct special events to celebrate Jewish festivals and to commemorate important historical events.
- Authenticity: Everyone appreciates authenticity. It means being honest, transparent, and free to express one’s struggles and doubts without the fear of being judged or rejected. Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” We desire these words to be genuinely lived-out in our congregation. Together we can learn from Him and experience His peace and the power of the Holy Spirit.
- The Worth of the Individual: Every person is created by God in His own image and is cherished and loved by Him. We believe every person has worth, dignity, and potential to serve and honor Him. We share our faith with others that they might come to know Him as their Savior. We also offer our help and unconditional love to those in need, sharing of our time and resources.
- Family: At the pinnacle of the creation account in the book of Genesis is the establishment of the family. We desire to nurture, heal, and build up families in our congregation and community and to help them experience the mutual acceptance and love God intends for this special part of His creation. In addition to being a congregation comprised of families, we believe New Hope Chapel is itself a family. This means that we are committed to encourage, comfort, and care for each other. Of particular concern are the young people in our church whom we believe have been entrusted to us as gifts from God. We have a unique responsibility to these children to love them, to equip them for service, and to help them live lives worthy of God.